Saturday, January 28, 2017

Income Tax Returns - Scouting Expenses

Scouting Tax Deductions

Advice from Scouting Magazine

Click here for a link to a Scouting Magazine article on deducting Scout-related expenses, dated Jan 25, 2017.

Scouting Magazine published some online advice about "Out-of-pocket expenses you paid to do volunteer work" that included this summary:

General facts you need to know

• On IRS Form 1040, "2016 Instructions for Schedule A", the Boy Scouts of America is listed by name on page A-9 as a “qualified charitable organization,” so BSA expenses are eligible.
• Three types of contributions can be deducted:
   • Cash/check donations
   • Property donations
   • "Out-of-pocket expenses you paid to do volunteer work"
• Some types of relevant contributions cannot be deducted:
   • Travel expenses, like meals or lodging
   • The value of your time
   • Scouting dues or membership fees
• IRS Publication 526 has lots more info

Easy enough, right? Scouters will mainly be concerned with that third type of eligible deductions, "out-of-pocket expenses you paid to do volunteer work."

Some items that you purchase to benefit your unit can be deducted, provided your unit didn’t reimburse you for them. You’ll want to check with your tax professional to be sure, but Scouters have told me they deduct uniforms, merit badge pamphlets, den meeting activity kits, Wood Badge course fees and much more — again, as long as their pack or troop didn’t reimburse them.

However, there’s one expense that I’m certain you can deduct: the cost of driving to and from BSA events.

1 comment: